Whole Roasted Chicken
Roasted Chicken is an incredibly versatile recipe that can be used for a variety of different meals. Eat as is, served with mashed potatoes and a simple chicken pan gravy made from the drippings. Use it in Chicken Soup. Chill and use the meat in Chicken Salad, Chicken Alfredo, or any number of other chicken dishes.
First gather together your ingredients. One whole roasting chicken. Medium sized roasting pan. A whole onion. Salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, paprika, sage, garlic, and olive oil.
Wash your chicken in the sink and remove the bag of giblets and any other odds and end left in the cavity. Throw these away or if you like throw them in the pan to cook along with your chicken. Dry the outside of the chicken well with paper towels and place into your roaster.
Combine ⅓ – ½ cup of oil with all of your seasonings. Massage all over chicken, including under the skin on the breasts. Peel the whole onion and place in the cavity.
Place the uncovered roaster into a preheated 450 degree oven for 25 minutes. After 25 minutes turn the oven down to 325, and let cook for approximately 1 1/2 – 2 hours. Exact cooking time will depend of the size of your bird. Make sure if you are eating this chicken roasted that you check the internal temperature with a meat thermometer, not touching a bone, and it is at 165 degrees. Also check the temperature inside of the middle of the onion which has been stuffed into the body cavity. 165 is the ‘safe’ temperature for cooking poultry.
Time to Enjoy! Yum…
Whole Roasted Chicken
- 1 roasting chicken, whole
- 1 lg onion, peeled
- 1 tsp seasoning salt, Lawry’s
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp sage
- 1/3 cup virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper
1. Wash chicken and remove giblets. Dry with paper towels and place into medium-sized roaster. Mix together olive oil and all seasonings. Rub bird with oil/seasoning mixture, taking care to get inside the skin between the breast meat and skin.
2. Place whole peeled onion into cavity and place into a preheated 425 degree oven for 25 minutes. Turn down temperature to 325 degrees and finish roasting, approximately 1 ½ – 2 hours, until reaching an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
Sometimes I add celery and garlic along with the onion to the inside of my bird. You can change up your seasonings and vegetables to whatever flavors strike your fancy at the time. Roasted Chicken is a definite staple in our house.
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!